Few days ago Boonex.com has made a public demo of Dolphin 7 alpha version.
here it’s http://www.demozzz.com/dolphin7a/
We reviewed it and here is some ideas we have about new dolphin 7.
First of all new design and structure of website is clear, the way new dolphin handle menu system is much better now. New dolphin 7 is more usable and easier for users to use it, navigate and find stuff.
New version has many new features, some of them are working now some does not but still there will be more betas and RC versions to dig dipper.
New dolphin looks very similar to Boonex unity with all features and design. This is not bad and not good this is just the way they did it. I like it actually.
There were many talks about modular structure of all Dolphin to make it easier to use by developers and made really cool modules like for in WordPress or Drupal CMS. Everything in one folder and this opens great opportunity for CSM and developers. As new version of Joomla was big step for the CMS hope new dolphin would be big step for all community of Dolphin lovers, owners and developers.
Unfortunately I could not look into the code of new dolphin and tell my ideas of what is good and what is not. But I’ll do it the same day I could download new dolphin 7 and install it.
If boonex.com send me a copy of dolphin 7 to e-mail that would be great and I’d tell my ideas about it to everyone.
What I dislike in new dolphin 7:
- When you click on a user thumb to get to his profile you have a float menu with some links to send him a message, be friends and other stuff. So to see user’s profile you need to click twice on the profile link and then in float menu again on the link. I think this menu should be made on mouse over not on Click or completely removed.
- There is still “Looking For: Man, Woman” thing. This is more like Dating website feature and I think boonex.com still cannot get rid of AEDating ideas.
- Too many CSS files for a page – the same story as with JS files. For example profile page has these CSS files included – general.css, anchor.css, BxCssMenu2.css, profile_view.css, post.css, view.css, cmts.css, main.css ( 8 files ). I’d use less CSS files in page loading too.
- The same SEO problem as with Dolphin 6. Our team thinks that without SEO and user-friendly structure any CMS will not give much effect for website owner. On other hand our team will made even cooler All SEO Mod and help website owners to fix this problem.
- Too big <HEAD> part – about 150 lines before <body> of the page starts. This is not good for SEO and page loading.
Hope Boonex.com fix things in <HEAD> and made really cool product.